Sunday, March 26, 2006

Belize - Xunantunich Mayan Ruins

In the summer of 1988, I spent three months in Belize (which borders Guatemala and Mexico in Central America) serving with a Youth Evangelism Service team. We worked with the youth of a local Hispanic Mennonite church in the village of August Pine Ridge in Northern Belize. While we were there, we were able to tour the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins of San Ignacio, Belize. These are considered among the more minor Mayan Ruins but took some considerable hiking and climbing.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredible pictures! That's one of the items on my 'things to do before I die' list - visit Mayan ruins. Maybe I'll move it up higher on the list...

Tim Rice said...

Thanks, nienke. They are definitely worth seeing along with a lot of other experiences if you can go there.

Ginnie Hart said...

I spent time in Mexico years ago (1968?) and saw some of the Mayan (I think) ruins there. Man--that was so long ago that I hardly remember what I saw! But I climbed one of them--at least I remember that. Years later (1977?) we were in Guatemala but didn't see any ruins, not that I recall. But that definitely is the part of the world that has them. You're so fortunate to have the photos! And better memories than I do!

Tim Rice said...

Thanks, ginnie. Maybe, you'll have another chance to visit them and take photos? Picture are a great help to bring back the memories.