Thursday, May 18, 2006

Pennypacker Mills, No. 6, Some History

While most of my posts have centered much more on the sights of nature, I also enjoy history. And the Pennypacker Mills property does possess a bit of history. I touched briefly on it in my Pennypackers Mill post of March 13, 2006.


This is a mid-May view of the mansion that used to be the home of one of Pennsylvania's govenors Samuel W. Pennypacker (1843-1916). He also had a love of history and was a collector of antiques. This mansion was also briefly the Headquarters of George Washington's army in the Revolutionary War for a few days. You may want to go back to my March post to see the mansion from a different angle and before the trees had leaves on.


Historical Marker for the Property



This historical monument marks the camp of George Washington's army for few brief days in September and October 1777 during the Revolutionary War.

5 comments:

Minka said...

I wouldn´t mind living in that mansion :)
yeah and I am your first commenter:)

Cathy said...

Tim,
You are such a talented photographer. Your work takes what, if I photographed it, would be ordinary and elevates it to really beautiful levels.
:)

Anonymous said...

That mansion looked straight out of a story book!
a.

Ava said...

Pennypacker Mills looks like an interesting place to visit. It's very pretty. It's always nice to visit a piece of history.

Ava

Tim Rice said...

Hi, minka. I wouldn't mind living in that mansion either as long as I wouldn't have to be the caretaker of it. :)

Thanks, ma beck. I am honored.

Hi, andrea. It's real; but it'll always be a storybook tale for me. :)

Thanks, ava. It is a local treasure that I wasn't aware of until this year. I missed out in the past!