Saturday, September 09, 2006

Univest Grand Prix 2006 Bike Race in Souderton and Surrounding Area

Today after work I went to watch the finishing thirteen loops of the Univest Grand Prix International Bike Race in Souderton. The race was a total of 107 miles with the last 39 miles consisting of the thirteen three mile Souderton loops. The previous 68 miles goes throughout the countryside of parts of Montgomery and Bucks County, Pennsylvania beginning and ending in Souderton. I took my pictures from along Main Street, Souderton near the Univest Banking Corporation Center. It was a good afternoon.

This race had 55 finishing participants coming from the following countries: United States, Mexico, Australia, Colombia, Canada, Poland, Germany, Serbia and Montenegro, Argentina, Italy, and Uruguay.


From the first of the thirteen ending loops



The motorcyclist rider has a video camera. The race was being broadcast live on TV and the Internet. The video signals were being transmitted to a helicopter and from there to the TV station.


Near the end



A close-up



Above you can see the signs of some of the local sponsors of the bike race as well as a part of the crowd watching the race.


Approaching the end



Two contenders



The first place winner was Shawn Milne from the United States of the Navigators Insurance Cycling Team. He is the middle person in the picture. His average speed was 25.119 mph (40.425 km/h) completing the 107 mile race in 4 hours, 15 minutes, and 17 seconds. The second place winner was Fausto Marcelino Esparza from Mexico of the TECOS team. He completed the race one second behind the first place winner. He is to the left of the first place winner in the picture. The third place winner was Sean Sullivan from Australia of the Toyota United Pro Cycling Team. He completed the race eleven seconds behind the first place winner. He is to the right of the first place winner in the picture.

Shawn Milne was given the yellow jersey to wear at the beginning of the Univest Grand Prix in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania tomorrow. I will not be able to make that race.

17 comments:

Ava said...

Wow, those are some great pictures!

Murf said...

I think the smartest guys were the two in the back...in black with white helmets. :-)

sage said...

I was pretty impressed with the pic Murf refers to,with the two guys on pedals leading the motorcycles. Was there an Ed from Iowa Engineering in the pack?

Judypatooote said...

I can't figure out how they can ride so close to each other, without hitting the other....Your pictures are beautiful.....

Tim Rice said...

Thanks, ava. I'm glad I could take them.

Oh, murf, that's the lazy way out!

Thanks, sage. There was an Edward King of Priority Health Cycling Team (USA). He ranked sixth. :)

Hi, judypatoote. Riding so close together is something you learn over time. Plus, it makes riding easier as the air draft from the bike in front of you helps pull you along.

Cergie said...

Hello, Tim, I don't understand very well (you'll think:"as usual!!!"):
"I will not be able to make that race."
Does it mean that you were engaged in that race and because of I donknow, maybe backache, or influenza, you were not at the departure the day after ?

I saw once "le tour de France", it was passing just under my parents's windows in Epinal.
What a pitty that for that time, it was not the same for you (I'm remembering the Kids in their small karts). However, you managed well taking pictures from a high point of view.

And the cat's eyes, did you see them after when you watched at the photo ?
I think it was really a big animal, and i'ld not like having be at your place...

Murf said...

I also find your neck of the woods re-asphalting technique to be rather interesting, Tim. It's almost patchwork (quilt) like.

........................ Cam Bernardes said...

I wish I could be there to watch that race. I like bikes.

Tim Rice said...

Hi, cergie. Anytime you have questions about our English, please feel free to ask. When I said, "I will not be able to make that race", I didn't really state why I wouldn't be able to be there to watch the Doylestown race. But the reason was that I had other church related activities that were preventing me from being a spectator at the Doylestown race. Does that help? As for taking pictures during the ending loops in Souderton, Pennsylvania, I deliberately stationed myself at a point that I thought would be most advantageous for picture-taking. As for the "cat's eyes" seen in a previous post, I did not see them when taking the picture. However, I really just think was the sunlight reflecting through in a peculiar way.

Hi, murf. They've been doing a lot of work on that street this summer. I'm not sure they're done yet.

Hi, camila bernardes. If you like bikes, I'm sure you would have enjoyed watching this race. These were professional bike racers.

San Nakji said...

Nice action shots. A big contrast from your usual serene nature shots! Any special settings on the camera for these?

Tim Rice said...

Hi, san nakji. There is a Sports setting that takes three pictures in rapid fire. I used that some of the time with excellent results. In general though, I just made sure I shot at a high shutter speed.

Glad you enjoyed the shots.

Ginnie Hart said...

Man! I had no clue you had your own "tour de france" in your own back yard! How exciting!

Tim Rice said...

Hi, ginnie. Yes, it's neat that we have our own "tour de France" in my own town. It was the nineth year for this race in Souderton and surrounding municipalities.

fjl said...

terrific!

Tim Rice said...

Thanks, fjl. The bike race was terrific.

Anonymous said...

Yay! A fellow Souderton blogger :)

We went to the race, as well - of course - but haven't posted about it yet. Thanks for these great photos!

:) Mikaela

PS: My blog is http://jamintake.blogspot.com - I have to post anonymously because I'm using Blogger beta. It's a weird glitch :)

Tim Rice said...

Thanks, Mikaela. That bike race is something I look forward to every year. Glad you enjoyed my pictures.